Review Detail

Overall rating 

Miles/Kilometres on Pickup 

Location Convenience 

Staff / Quality of Service 

Vehicle Condition - Outside 

Vehicle Condition - Inside 

LIED, SCAREMONGERED & COERCED

I carried out all my due diligence re car rental before travelling and purchased an annual Vehicle Hire Insurance policy from Questor to cover my car rental in Malaga. Upon arriving at the car hire desk off a late flight from Glasgow my wife and I, both Senior Citizens, were subjected to a barrage of pressure and scaremongering from your customer service representative. Despite producing our insurance policy and explaining that we were legally insured and had additional cover YOUR employee pressured us, harassed us and scared us beyond belief, to the point that we had no choice but to pay 169 euros. This was all in front of our two grandchildren. LIE 1 - Your insurance policy is no good LIE 2 - You if have an accident you will pay 20,000 euros - he actually wrote this on a piece of paper! He barraged us with how we would be completely on our own without any help whatsoever, making it sound worse than the reality of the situation. Exhausted, worn down and in order to just get away and start our holiday, with our two young grand-daughters, my wife insisted that I paid the money. We were completely mis-sold this insurance and bullied by the staff member as we did not need this product. He abused our trust.

Service

Mentionable Staff
Piotr Daniel
Owner's reply
VictoriaR - Goldcar Customer Service VictoriaR - Goldcar Customer Service

Good morning Etierney,

We are sorry to know that one of our employees push you to contract an extra insurance. We want to know more about your case, so, if you are so kind to sent us an email to goldcarweb@goldcar.com with your booking number and a little expanations about the commented setback we will study further it and try to find a solution.

Regards,
Vicotoria R.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1  

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account
etierney Written by etierney
August 21, 2016
AFTER THE INVITATION FROM VICTORIA I TOOK THE TIME TO SEND THIS EMAIL REPLY INTO GOLDCAR. I WILL POST THE OUTCOME FOLLOWING THEIR 'INVESTIGATION'; I USE THAT WORD LOOSELY OF COURSE! COMPLETE JOKE OF A RESPONSE WHICH ADDED INSULT TO INJURY, TOTALLY MISSED THE POINT AND TOLD ME STUFF I ALREADY KNEW!!!! NO GOODWILL FROM THIS COMPANY AND NO EXPLANATION FOR DISHONEST AND UNETHICAL SALES PRACTICES. HERE GOES.....

Dear Victoria
Thank you for your response requesting more information regarding our experience with Rhodium by Goldcar.

I have attached copies of our contract number 10219159 for your information.

As requested I will provide you with some more detail regarding our experience.

When we arrived at the car rental area it was around 9.30pm. The Rhodium point is located on the Goldcar desk but was unmanned. We approached the customer service representative, Piotr Daniel, at the Goldcar section of the same desk and enquired as to whether there was a representative available at Rhodium. Piotr said yes, I can take you here. We understand that Rhodium are operated by Goldcar so we provided our booking information.

Upon processing our booking Piotr proceeded to offer Goldcar insurance to cover the excess. We explained that we had purchased a separate policy to cover the excess and other expenses. This is where the pressure and coercion began.

Piotr was not content with explaining the product he was offering and the difference between our insurance policy and Goldstar's. When we assured him we were happy with the cover we had, he resorted to scaremongering tactics and lied to us.

He categorically stated our insurance policy was no good which is not true. Yes, it is not as hassle free in the event of an accident. We understand this is because we have to pay the excess in the event of an incident and then claim monies back using the policy. We understand that the Goldcar insurance means we would have the luxury of walking away without any monies deducted from our credit card in the event of a claim but we knew this and were comfortable with our decision.

Piotr was not satisfied however and proceeded to write down on a piece of paper a figure of 20,000 Euros and stated that we would be personally liable for this amount of money in the event of an accident and that our insurance would not cover it but Goldstar's would. He said that we would have to fight with our insurance company to get this money back in addition to the 1500 euro excess. We were flabbergasted and did not understand this to be the way it worked at all! However, despite our protestations Piotr continued to labour the 20,000 euro potential liability we were subjecting ourselves to.

He used the piece of paper to illustrate his point, crossing out the 20,000 euros he had written saying that Goldcar insurance reduces this liability to zero.

After 30 - 40 minutes at the desk trying to comprehend how we could possibly have a potential liability of 20,000 Euros and our insurance policy with Questor be useless, we were drained, exhausted and worried. We were afraid to dismiss Piotr's point re a 20,000 euro liability albeit we had researched our responsibility in respect of car insurance. My wife (aged 66) was jaded, my grand-daughters aged 11 and 9 were exhausted and I felt stressed. With a 45 minute drive ahead, in the dark, in a foreign country, the responsibility of my family and Piotr throwing in that in the event of a breakdown we were absolutely on our own......I gave in and paid the 169 euros.

When we relayed our experience to our daughter she was incensed and encouraged me to take it further. She had rented a car from Budget the previous week and her experience was entirely different. She was offered insurance at 18 Euros per day at Malaga Airport. When she declined, as she too had separate cover, the representative explained the trouble free nature of the Budget insurance versus her insurance. My daughter said she understood but still wished to decline. The representative left it at that.

I still cannot fathom where the 20,000 euro liability that Piotr foisted upon us stems from. I have so far drawn the conclusion that this is his own sales tactic to coerce vulnerable customers into a purchase. Or do you train your staff to say this and draw illustrations? I have also conclude that there must be a commission paid to staff for Piotr to be so aggressive and resort to lies in an effort to conclude a sale. Furthermore he dismissed our insurance policy as completely useless when it is not, it's simply a different product with a different procedure in the event of a claim. Another lie.

I hope this provides you with more detail regarding this particular experience. We did not need this product. We said no and we should not have been subjected to lies and scaremongering to conclude a sale. I do look forward to hearing your views and comments as a company.

I will be happy to provide a post rental comment based on the outcome of your follow up.

GOLDCAR RESPONSE:

Goldcar Web 07 (Goldcar Rental)
16 Aug, 12:14 CEST

Hello Eddie,

Thanks for reaching us and giving such a detailed explanation of the experience you had.

Please note that our policy contemplates the requirement to leave a deposit in order to pick the car and start using our services. However, we always offer additional cover (Super Relax Cover), because it already includes an excess and it exempts you of this requirement. If customers have third party coverage, they can request a refund from them in case of damages, but our additional coverage is always offered as an alternative to blocking a deposit on a credit card.

On the other hand, our additional coverage is a non-refundable service, as you ended up accepting it, we cannot do any refunds now.

Please let me know if you have further queries so I can help,
Kindest regards.
1 results - showing 1 - 1