Review Detail

Overall rating 

Miles/Kilometres on Pickup 

Location Convenience 

Staff / Quality of Service 

Vehicle Condition - Outside 

Vehicle Condition - Inside 

WATCH THESE PEOPLE LIKE A HAWK

This lot are a set of sharks. Watch them because they will take any opportunity they can to try and stitch you up for extra charges. After booking our car through Rentalcars.com I then contacted Hertz to see if it would be possible to pick the car up a bit earlier than the midday offered on the website. I was told this was not a problem at all. We arrived at the airport just before 10am the next day and were told the car was not booked until midday. We explained this had been cleared on the phone. The woman on the desk made a number of calls then told us a car would be ready for us, but she clearly wasn't happy. Because we booked via a UK website and paid the insurance to them, Hertz wanted to add something like 1,100 euros on my card for excess payments, which they did. They also added about 50 euros for my wife to drive the vehicle too. But they still tried to charge me another 60 euros for the very insurance I already had from Rentalcars. I declined that. What I did not spot among these fees was an extra charge of 136 euros for picking the car up slightly earlier than booked! I was too busy looking at the 1,100 euro fee at the time and didn't notice this extra payment until I got home to the UK. AT NO POINT was an extra payment mentioned of this nature. Had there been we would have waited until midday, because who in their right mind would pay 136 euros for picking a car up about an hour earlier than originally planned? After being given the keys (at some point after 10am) we then went to the car park to collect the car. Except there wasn't one. Another woman in another office told us the car we had orinibally been given was not available. She then changed the paperwork to another vehicle and we then headed to the collection point and stood there and stood there. Eventually a car turned up after about 40 minutes or more and by the time we left the airport it was well after 11am. By the time we returned to Costa Teguise it was time for lunch! The morning had been wasted. But on returning to the UK I spotted this extra charge after I reviewed my credit card bill. They charged us 136 euros, - without telling us - for picking the car up early. This is akin to someone sticking PPI on a loan you didn't ask for. They point blank refuse to refund the money and say because I signed the credit card slip I agreed to it. This is nothing short of fraud but Hertz are such a big company they think they can just get away with it. I am determined to tell as many people as I can to stay well clear. The car was also covered in scratches by the way - and dirty inside because they did not clean it properly in their haste to get it to us late. PS When we asked about any additional charges we may face at the desk, the only thing they discussed was a day's payment if returning the car late. Steer well clear. Awful customer service. It's about greed and nothing else. Stay well clear of these charlatans and use a smaller, independent hire firm instead. At least the smaller companies care about their customers.

Owner's reply
VictoriaR - Goldcar Customer Service VictoriaR - Goldcar Customer Service

Hello Martye,
Please note that this page is for GOLDCAR ALMERIA AIRPORT. Your review is referring to your HERTZ experience.
Kind regards,
Victoria R,
Goldcar Representative.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account