Europcar Car Rental - Tel Aviv Ben Gurion International Airport - TLV - Israel
Verified Renter reviews ®
Awful start to Israel trip at Europcar Ben Gurion airoport
We had a printed out copy of an internet chat with Europcar's international office saying insurance was included, but the extraordinarily rude man at the desk refused to even look at it. That was the main factor in our choice to rent from Europcar and the difference in price was enormous, but we were stuck. When we argued, he pressed a button and cancelled our reservation. He also told us he didn't represent Europcar. When I took a photo of him wearing a Europcar service badge with his name, his colleague forced me to delete the photo and physically checked my phone to see all folders to make sure I had done so - I felt as if I was being ordered around by a security official. When we said they were supposed to provide service to customers, they said "Not in Israel" and "We don't work for you."
As it was already 3 or 4 in the morning, we gave in about the insurance, saying we would have to visit their Jerusalem office the next day. Then the colleague reopened the reservation, but when we got down to the car, they had spitefully given us the tiniest car (by far) on the lot, even though we were paying for the THIRD category from the smallest. Cleverly, they also black-mouthed us in a long computer report to Europcar's office, so when we complained the next day, the manager completely ignored our description of how rude they had been. Nor would he look at the print outs of our chat concerning Europcar's policies all over the world; he said Israel is different.
We were convinced to book with Europcar because the agent at Europcar's main website said specifically that all their charges are included in the price, and that sounded fair and trouble-free (we have experienced this problem before). If Europcar cannot control - or speak for, online - the standards of their franchisees, I would be reluctant to rent from them in any city.
The manager in Jerusalem also told us the tiny car was in the Compact range we had paid for. (We have rented a compact car almost every year for the past 25 in Israel and never driven such a little box.) Hence the low rating I have assigned to outside of vehicle.
Insurance pricing is a major problem in dealings with car rental agencies in Israel - the prices offered online bear no relationship to what the customer actually has to pay. This gives a very unfortunate appearance of bait-and-switch just as new visitors enter the country.
The most rude service I have ever received
Where do I even begin????
We arrived at Tel Aviv looking for a europcar desk - not got one. So we looked at our instructions and it told us to report to another desk. Only they have never heard of europcar and were exceptionally rude to us. So we rang europcar and they were very rude but told us we had to wait outside the terminal for a bus that would be 2 minutes. So we exit into the heat and stand outside waiting for a bus. Hertz, Six and budget etc all have buses coming out but no sign of europcar. By this time another group were also waiting. They had been told they would be met at the airport by someone holding a placard...no luck for them either.
We rang again after about 15 mins. Staff seemed very annoyed that we had rung and told again it was two minutes away. It was not.
When the bus finally arrived we got in and were drive past all the normal car rental places to 'airport city' a complex quite far from the airport which took about 15-20 mins driving. When we finally arrived none apologised for our wait, or offered us any kind of hospitality, they were instead rude and acted like they did not care that we had been delayed massively by their service, important when you are just away for a long weekend. We had to change our plans because of this.
So we finally left in an 'upgraded car' although I fail to see how it is an upgrade as it was average at best and required a code to work which sometimes didn't work resulting in the car not starting for ages.
But we were willing to accept this could have just been a bad experience, but oh no...
We were told to drop the car off at the same obscure location we picked it up from. So we did. But when we arrived the staff told us off and told us to move it to an underground car park. We did not want to, and were annoyed at their tone. When we objected the man shouted at us 'I'll tell you what you can and can't do!!' which was exceptionally rude. They also threatened us saying that the police were going to come and give us a ticket and we would be made to pay, despite the fact that they leave cars there when people are picking them up all the time, and that they are insured to drive them AND the fact that they park there when picking people up on the shuttle bus. The next person to drop their car off also left it there, the logical place when you pick it up from that location.
All in all I was appalled by the service and would avoid this at all costs if you want a relaxing start and end to your holiday.
Unverified Renter Reviews
Go somewhere else
Terrible location, terrible service, avoid.
3,5 year old car. Rude staff. Could not add additional driver. Long ride from Airport. Worst rental in my life.
Never Europcar at all costs!!!
I have made the reservation through EasyJet:
1. I didn't get the voucher for this rental.
2. There is no desk or representative of Europcar at the airport, as opposite to what was said on the flight order confirmation I got from EasyJet, and I had at the airport to look for the INFO desk who has called the local agent that is located 7 km away to come and pick us up, do you actually charge airport fee for cars picked up and dropped off 7km away from the airport?
3. It took 20min until the shuttle came and additional 30min before the first car came.
4. Car had a dirty ashtray and 7/8 fuel tank full, which I refused to take, and it took additional 30 min until the second car came, the ashtray was filthy again but I was tired of waiting so I throw it to the back of the car.
5. There is no car park in which a customer can check there a car, cars are double parked on a pedestrian crossing, which makes the all process dangerous, hectic and unprofessional.
6. On EasyJet site it says that all insurances are paid in advance, but that was not what I have been told by your agent, as he suggested an insurance to reduce the Excess in which I should pay an additional fee.
But hey, the customer service of Europcar has offered me 10 GBP discount on my next rental, this is a "true" customer service.
Do yourself a favour - go elsewhere
The worst car rental company I have come across:
- The staff/customer service is terrible. They are not interested in helping you at all.
- It is an off-airport operator. Not easy to find when returning the car in an unfamiliar area.The map they give you is poor.
- The car park is underground and not signposted as belonging to Europcar. Far from obvious and the last thing you want if you hurry to catch a fight home.
- The car park is 1-2 floors down from the office. Enjoy running up to get their staff and then down again. Possibly with luggage?
- car itself was fine.